ADSM-L

Library capacity

2001-03-09 11:05:48
Subject: Library capacity
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 07:24:10 -0800
Hello all,

My current setup, H50, 3494LIB, 4 3590's, 7133 D40, is beginning to come to
a point where I need more capacity, or so I feel. I would like for the
company to order the next section of library, 2 3494's, memory for the
computer, DASD and a few other bits now, but I found out yesterday it won't
happen till Q4. Now I believe I may have a problem with this but without a
way for me to estimate how much the system will grow in relation to what I
have available I can't very well push them to order sooner.

With all the knowledge I have at my disposal, and I don't mean my own,
that's where you all come in, I'm looking for some commands within AIX or
TSM to get the information I need. Is there a way to find out how many slots
the 3494 has, total, used and available? Sure I could start counting...no,
forget that idea.... Commands for this would help greatly.

Now with that figured out I'm looking to see if there is a way to figure out
how many tapes are used each day, for onsite and offsite, as opposed to how
many tapes are reclaimed/returned. If I could run this each day for a month
and maybe backdate it if possible, I might come up with an idea when we
would hit the wall. Taking into account the library is shared with MVS,
which has 2 drives of it's own, I would have to factor in their info if I
could get it.

I have Exchange and another group who want access now, which would put an
additional load on what I already have. So keeping in mind those could get
implemented before I get more space, I could very well run out even quicker
than expected. My own feeling is, even without the additional computers,
I'll run out of space before Q4.

Thanks for the help,

Geoff Gill
NT Systems Support Engineer