ADSM-L

Re: Compression / No Compression ???

2001-03-08 08:20:33
Subject: Re: Compression / No Compression ???
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:15:00 +0000
Hi Roy,

My opinion is unless you have specific reasons (possibly network constraints)
do not run with client compression.
Requires extra clock cycles on the client, and if the client is not particularly
powerful
can significantly increase backup elapsed time.
Also restores will take longer, because of the decompression.
As far as the amount of data recorded on the tape, you will often see large
differences when you back up software compressed data against non software
compressed data.
But in TSM terms there may not be a significant difference, in the true amount
of client data
on a tape.
John

Roy Lake <RLake AT AXIAL-TBG DOT COM> on 03/08/2001 11:29:44 AM