ADSM-L

Re: Backupsets and cd burners

2001-03-07 09:15:46
Subject: Re: Backupsets and cd burners
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:19:35 -0500
I've been using an HP 9200-series CD-burner along with GNU
mkisofs/cdrecord with pretty good success.

The README that you alude to in you message makes reference to boot
problems with CHRP boxes...pay attention to that.  With the latest
versions of the the necessary bff's this is supposedly fixxed, but I
still ran into a problem when using the latest version of mkisofs.

If you want more info on my setup, drop me a line & I'll pass along the
details.

-Lloyd
"Richard L. Rhodes" wrote:
"Richard L. Rhodes" wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2001, at 7:55, Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:
> >
> > 3. I noticed the post recently that talks about putting backupsets on CD. I
> > have never heard of a cd-writer/rewriter on an AIX box, which doesn't mean
> > it's not possible. I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for creating
> > backupsets on an environment similar to mine, or any other for that matter,
> > that can create backupsets on cd's.
>
> I've been looking into creating mksysb's onto cdrom.  IBM added the
> mkcd cmd to AIX.  This command will front the cd creation pricess, but
> doesn't actually format the image or burn the image, you need other
> sftw to do that.  Here is some comments from the
> /usr/lpp/bos.sysmgt/mkcd.README.txt file . . . .
>
> >You'll need a recordable CD drive (CD-R or CD-RW) and the software >
> >that will create a CDROM file system and "burn" the CD.
>
> >There are many CD-R (CD Recordable) and CD-RW (CD ReWritable) drives
> >available.  We tested with four of the  external drives.  We figured
> >most customers would use external drives because they already have
> >an internal CD drive in their box.
> >   *  Yamaha CRW4416SX - CD-RW (rewritable)
> >   *  RICOH MP6201S - CD-R (recordable)
> >   *  Panasonic 7502-B - CD-R
> >   *  Young Minds CD Studio - CD-R
>
> >We tested 3 different types of software.
> >   * Jodian Systems and Software CDWRITE[tm] CD-ROM Premastering
> >       Package
> >   * GNU mkisofs and cdrecord - available from  The CD building
> >       project for
> >     UNIX or The BULL website: click on "download", then click on
> >       "AIX 4.3.2 and later", and get cdrecord-1.80.23.exe
> >   * Young Minds makedisc premastering software
> >Jodian and Young Minds are purchasable and supported products.
> >Please see their websites for details.  The GNU commands are
> >available for free.  Both Jodian and Youngminds use their own device
> >drivers for the CD-R.  The GNU cdrecord command uses the system CD
> >device driver.
>
> The Young Minds is a package deal of cdburner and sftw.  Costs $3500.
> Their cdburner emulates a Exabyte 8200 tape drive.
>
> The Jodian Systems package included a Yamaha 8824 cd burner with sftw
> for $1300.
>
> I've heard that there is one other company that makes a this kind of
> sftw for AIX.  Not sure who.
>
> Not wanting to spend any money, I've been asking around work here for
> a cdburner I could borrow and try with the GNU sftw.  Unfortunely,
> no one around here has one.  I was going to purchase one of the models
> IBM tested with, but they seem to be older models that aren't for
> sale any more.
>
> If anyone is using a cd burner that works with the GNU sftw, I'd love
> to here what model it is.
>
> btw:  the mkcd cmd will allow you to burn an existing mksysb disk
> file to cd.  The cd can be bootable, or, you can boot with AIX
> release cd's.  I'm trying to find out if I can have systems do a
> mksysb to disk, send them to a common systems for storage, and burn a
> [...]

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:716-389-1260    fax:716-389-1267