ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Storage w/out DRM

2001-03-06 20:13:24
Subject: Re: Offsite Storage w/out DRM
From: Orville Lantto <olantto AT DTREND DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:10:08 -0600
What are you planning for moving and tracking your database backups?

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.
121 Cheshire Lane #700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
V: 952-931-1203
F: 952-931-1293
C: 612-770-9166

John Marquart <jomarqua AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
03/06/01 03:32 PM

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Offsite Storage w/out DRM

Hello all,
        I am working on setting up an offsite storage plan, and needed to
get some clarification on my configuration.

1)  Based on the _TSM for AIX: Admin Guide_ Ch. 20, I came up with the
following schedule:

backup stgpool prim_pool copy_pool
update stgpool copy_pool reclaim=100
update volume * access=offsite location="offsite" \
        wherestgpool=copy_pool whereaccess=readwrite,readonly \
        wherestatus=filling,full

   <grep/manipulate previous output to obtain volume list>
   <checkout volumes in volumelist>
backup db type=full devclass=3590tape scratch=yes
backup devconfig filename=dev.config
backup volhistory filename=vol.history
query volume stgpool=copy_pool access=offsite status=empty

   <grep/manipulate previous output to obtain volume list>
   <checkin volumes in volumelist>
   <update volumes in volumelist to access=readwrite>

2) But then, I heard something about a "move media" command - and after
reading the _Admin Reference_ and checking out the archives I can up w/
another 2 possibilities:

A)

backup stgpool prim_pool copy_pool
update stgpool copy_pool reclaim=100
move media * stgpool=copy_pool wherestate=mountableinlib \
        wherestatus=full,filling ovflocation="Offsite Location" \
        remove=yes cmd="update volume &vol access=offsite" \
        cmdfile=checkout.mac checklabel=no
macro checkout.mac
backup db type=full devclass=3590tape scratch=yes
backup devconfig filename=dev.config
backup volhistory filename=vol.history

   <move the checkout tapes offsite>

query media stgpool=copy_pool wherestatus=empty \
        wherestate=mountablenotinlib cmd="checkin libvol 3494a &vol \
        status=private devclass=3590 checklabel=no &NL update vol &vol \
        access=readwrite" cmdfile=checkin.mac

   <parse checkin.mac to find tapes, return from offsite>

macro checkin.mac

B) begins the same, but after moving the checkout tapes offsite, finishes
w/ the following instead of the query media, etc. command:

   <move the chekout tapes offsite>

move media * stgpool=copy_pool wherestate=mountablenotinlib \
        wherestatus=empty cmd="checkin libvol 3494a &vol status=private \
        devclass=3590 &NL update volume &vol access=readwrite" \
        cmdfile=checkin.mac

   <parse checkin.mac to find tapes, return from offsite>

macro checkin.mac

--------
        While my example 1 is the "by the book" method, it seems from the
        While my example 1 is the "by the book" method, it seems from the
varied posts concerning "move media vs. checkout" that the "move media"
command is the preferred method.  Assuming that is the case, I completely
do not understand why the "move media" command can check tapes out of the
library, but not back in.  Given this restraint, is there any advantage of
my 2B method over my 2A method?

        Also, w/ regards to the checkout procedure, is my "move media"
version the simplest it can be?  The reason I ask, is that it befuddles me
why I can't set access=offsite when i am using it to check tapes out, but
rather have to do it via the cmd option.

thanks in advance,
-john marquart
John "Jamie" Marquart           |     This message posted 100% MS free.
John "Jamie" Marquart           |     This message posted 100% MS free.
Digital Library SysAdmin        |  Work: 812-856-5174   Pager:
812-334-6018
Indiana University Libraries    |  ICQ: 1131494         D'net Team:  6265
                        irc.kdfs.net - come visit vaix