ADSM-L

Backupsets

2001-03-06 10:55:54
Subject: Backupsets
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 07:55:38 -0800
Hi All,

Backupsets is the subject today. Questions and problems to be a bit more
specific. A few weeks ago I created a backupset that was to be around for 5
days. To date the backupset looks like it's still around. All attempts to
query it or delete the volume have failed and I'm wondering if anyone has a
clue as to what the problem is....

3494LIB        U00866        Private                   BackupSet

The second issue(s) is still backupsets.

1. If I create a backup set on dat and bring it to a node I am supposed to
be able to read it and restore it. The question is can I just restore a
single file or some semblance of multiple files. I haven't been able to view
anything with the GUI except the backupset info itself. How can I view the
directory structure to pick and choose the files to restore?

2. My environment is AIX 4.3.3 with TSM 4.1.2. The TSM server has a dat
drive internal to the server which is rmt2. The 3494 has 4 3590 drives;
rmt0,1,3,4. I'd like to know if I can define this dat drive within TSM and
use it to create a backupsets only. I'd also like to know if it is possible
to connect an external autoloader dat unit for the same process. If
backupsets turn out to be an option to implement I wouldn't want to use the
3590's since nodes don't have them.

3. I noticed the post recently that talks about putting backupsets on CD. I
have never heard of a cd-writer/rewriter on an AIX box, which doesn't mean
it's not possible. I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for creating
backupsets on an environment similar to mine, or any other for that matter,
that can create backupsets on cd's.

Thanks all in advance for the help.

Geoff Gill
NT Systems Support Engineer