ADSM-L

Re: Backing up NT-shares trough an Win2k-Server

2001-03-05 17:50:04
Subject: Re: Backing up NT-shares trough an Win2k-Server
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:50:34 -0500
The local system account has null credentials and therefore has no implicit
access to network resources.

Remote resources deny access to null sessions unless explicitly granted
access.

Network resources may be accessed by services running under the local
system account
by adding the following registry entry to permit null session access to a
particular share:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\NullSessionShares\ShareName

where ShareName is REG_SZ value which specifing the name of the share.

Blanket null session access to ANY remote resource (shares, pipes, etc.)
may be granted by assigning the following REG_DWORD
registry value 0:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service\LanmanServer\Parameters\RestrictNullSessionAccess

Note that the above is a huge security hole and is not recommended.

Hope this helps ....

Pete Tanenhaus
Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 855.7620, external: 607.755.7620

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on

John Monahan <JohnMonahan AT LIBERTYDIVERSIFIED DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on
03/05/2001 03:55:20 PM