ADSM-L

Point in time restore trying to restore files that have been dele ted off the system

2001-02-26 09:27:28
Subject: Point in time restore trying to restore files that have been dele ted off the system
From: Marc Layne <MLayne AT FARITEC.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:28:31 +0200
Hi All
 I have the following problem.For one of our Windows NT systems we run a
full backup of the D partition every day. e do this so that the batch of
tapes used can be sent to another city where a develpment environment can be
refreshed. Now what is happening is that some files that were backed up in
september or october last year are still appearing as active within the TSM
database, even though these files have been deleted. So when trying to run a
point in time restore to the previous day, it is looking for older tapes
where these older deleted files are stored.These tapes ahve already been
sent back.

Even after the retain only parameter expires these files are still seen as
been active on the system. Even if i change the retaino=20 days and
retaine=10 days .. four months down the line these files are still active
and are not expiring.

Either the deleted files are not been marked as such (inactivated) or there
is a bug somewhere......

Environment:

TSM Server ver 3.7.1 on Windows NT service pack 6
TSM client for Windows NT ver 3.7.3
vere= 14
verd= 2
retaine= 30
retaino= 10

Thanks
Marc
Marc Layne
Product Manager - Services, Storage and Software Solutions
Faritec
Mobile: +27 82 4169086        email: mlayne AT faritec.co DOT za
<mailto:mlayne AT faritec.co DOT za>
Office:  + 27 21 7629702               http://www.faritec.co.za/
<http://www.faritec.co.za/>

"This message may contain information which is confidential, private or
privileged in nature.   If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or file which is
attached to this message.  If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail,  facsimile or telephone and
thereafter return and/or destroy the original message.
 Any views of this communication are those of the sender except where the
sender specifically states them to be those of Faritec (Proprietary) Limited
("Faritec") and/or Midrange Distribution Services (Pty) Ltd.
Please note that the recipient must scan this e-mail and any attached files
for viruses and the like.  While we do everything possible to protect
information from viruses, Faritec accepts no liability of whatever nature
for any loss, liability, damage or expense resulting directly or indirectly
from the access and/or downloading of any files which are attached to this
e-mail message."