ADSM-L

Re: FIVE questions for TSM 4.1.2 (server on AIX, clients on Windo ws)

2001-02-23 14:35:27
Subject: Re: FIVE questions for TSM 4.1.2 (server on AIX, clients on Windo ws)
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:35:56 -0500
>TSM can back up files that are OPEN, but Microsoft has two kinds of locks,
>OPEN and OPEN EXCLUSIVE, and TSM can't get past an OPEN EXCLUSIVE.  Neither
>can anything else, short of some 3rd party open file manager.

We had a presentation from the company LiveVault[.com], which takes the
fascinating approach of using an NT OS I/O system API to continuously capture
and save all updated bytes, in real time, allowing you to restore to any
moment in time.  A very different approach, which may solve backup problems
that traditional "batch" backup schemes can't.  If anyone out there has had
experience with them, I'd be interested in hearing about the realities of
using such a product.

  Richard Sims, BU
   (TSM bigot, but with an open mind)