ADSM-L

Guidance

2001-02-21 10:55:22
Subject: Guidance
From: Krishna Shastry <tkshastry AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:40:48 -0800
Hi Gurus,

Our datacenter (Not yet productional) has ADSM Server
(3.1.2.0) and Client (3.1.20.7) versions installed on
an IBM RS6000 SP. None of our staff are experienced in

handling ADSM.

I have a set of general queries, the answers to which
might give further insight in planning our
infrastructure and scheduling our activities. Your
expertise is solicited.

How are NFS mount points backed up with ADSM?

Does ADSM provide data encryption capability ?

How many client backups can run concurrently ?

Can ADSM back up open files ?

Does ADSM support data compression ? If so, What is
the compression ratio ?

Can more than one tape be written to at the same time
? ie. Can full dumps and
incremental be writing to two different tapes on
different drive, simultaneously ?

How are SYMBOLIC LINKs handled ?

How does ADSM handle media I/O errors during backup
processing ?

How is security handled? Can users just recover their
own files ?

Can labelling be done at the same time that backups
are running ?

Is there a procedure for making duplicate backups for
offsite storage ?

Does UNIX Servers require Root or can ADSM be
configured to be fully functional from a non- root UID
?

Any help and further insight would be highly
appreciated.

Rgds

Krishna