ADSM-L

Re: Performance Large Files vs. Small Files

2001-02-20 19:16:19
Subject: Re: Performance Large Files vs. Small Files
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:16:40 -0700
        Point well taken Steve. Your classification of the nature of the
data is basically correct except for a twist. On the day the data is
written, it is extracted by other programs that analyze the data to spot
flaws and trends in the manufacturing process. Depending on what it finds,
they may then need to delve deeper into the data to analyze and fix
production flaws. So their argument is that without that data online, they
have no idea if the chips we manufactured a couple of hours ago are good or
not.

        True, that after a couple of days the data is infrequently accessed,
and after about a week, the data is rarely accessed, that's why they delete
it after 30 days. But restoring just the files that were newly backed up the
night before is not possible... is it? I don't think a point in time restore
will do that...

        I like the idea of renegotiating the SLA (service level agreement)
with the customer so that their expectations are set and my butt is covered.
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks,
Ben Bullock
UNIX Systems Manager