ADSM-L

Problem with Backups of SAN Data

2001-02-19 12:49:53
Subject: Problem with Backups of SAN Data
From: "Diana J.Cline" <Diana.Cline AT ROSSNUTRITION DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:43:31 -0500
Found an interesting problem and am currently waiting on TSM Support to assist
me but wanted to ask you guys.

NT client platform.

We have defined a SAN (Compaq Storage Works) to one of our NT Clients.  The
machine has a LOCAL C: and D: and the E:, F: and G: are disk from the SAN.  On
client version 3.1.06 the E, F & G: are seen as LOCAL drives, therefore the
ALL-LOCAL domain statement in the dsm.opt file works with no problem.

Then I upgraded to the 4.1 NT Client. I had no problems but now the client
thinks that E: F: & G: are network and not local.  These are hugh drives.  I
can barely get an incremental done (often times not) each night, let alone
starting these over by creating new filespaces.  It doesn't convert the 3.1.06
filespaces; it thinks they are brand new network ones.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Fortunately, I was able to reinstall the 3.106
client and run it on a nightly basis as the 4.1 client didn't touch those
filespaces -- so the data isn't corrupted.

My understanding from Support is that they knew this would happen.... I don't
recall seeing any documentation on this.  I'm waiting on them to tell me how to
possibly convert these filespaces to a 4.1 format in the Network section
without starting over.

-Diana Cline