ADSM-L

Re: 3570 tape stuck??

2001-02-13 09:31:04
Subject: Re: 3570 tape stuck??
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:31:05 -0500
One other thought is to do a   q req and see if any requests outstanding.

If not then my final suggestion then is to HALT *SM and restart as this will
clear any hung condition.  I have done this several times with a tape that's
tied up or a session that can be cancelled.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc. I/T
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, David Longo wrote:

> Can you see if tape is physically in library or in a drive?

David,

It is physically in the library...i can see it.  Also i can do an audit
vol on the tape on either side of it, and they mount fine.

> Do q libvol and see if it shows up.

Yep, it's there...

> do q vol 0045E3 f=d and see status.

Status is R/W, one write error.  TSM had marked it R/O after the write
error, but after it passed a R/O audit vol, i updated it to R/W (to see if
it caught another write error).   This is how it all started with this
particular "problem" tape.

> do q actlog (with some time like begind=-1) sea=0045E3
>  and see what has been sequence of evnts with this tape.

The first error was "An I/O error occurred while accessing drive TAPE1
                          (/dev/rmt1) for QRYINQUIRY operation"

This is a new one on me.....so the write failed, and TSM marked it R/O.

> an Audit library lib_name checklabel=barcode
> will sync *SM with library.  (Do this with NO TAPES IN USE)  On my 3575-L32
> this takes about 20 seconds.

I let audit library run again for about 45 minutes, and it just sat
there, doing nothing....

> To checkout a tape that may be damaged use option checklabel=no.  A
> damaged won't checkout as the mount fails.

I tried with checklabel=no and got the same "Volume in use error".

AIX diag reports no problems, but there is some TAPE_ERR4 messages in the
error log when the write failed.  I'm checking these out now...but other
than this one volume, TSM seems to be running fine.

Thanks a lot for the tips!  If ya'll can think of anything else i might
try i'd really appreciate it...

later!
Ray

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 02/13/01 09:36:16
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.