ADSM-L

Faster Restores

2001-02-12 03:31:47
Subject: Faster Restores
From: Christoph Pilgram <Christoph.Pilgram AT BC.BOEHRINGER-INGELHEIM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:32:08 +0100
Hy all,

last week I had to restore a Netware-Client completely (TSM-Vers.: 3.7.2).
Because I am not familiar with Netware (our Netware Administrator was ill),
I decided to restore the data with the Web-Interface. After several breaks
and retrys (the Web-Window stopped doing anything while the Restore had not
finished or the Restore was said to have correctly finished in the
activity-log of the TSM-Server (AIX 4.3 and TSM 3.7.4) while the
Web-Interface was frozen and definitely not all data were back ...) I made a
try with the command-line and it worked fine. Because I splitted the Restore
for the different Volumes, each Restore went through all tapes of the client
(collocated). That took a while, because the data are ordered on a daily
base on the tapes.

Now my question . Is there any option to reorganize the stored data of a
client, that they are restored faster (except collocation on filespace that
has to be switched on for a complete storage-pool ) ?

Thanks for help

Christoph