ADSM-L

TSM hangs

2001-02-09 14:50:27
Subject: TSM hangs
From: "Wu, Jie" <JWu AT NCTR.FDA DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:36:46 -0600
Hi,
        I issued "checkin libv 8mm-library search=yes checkl=barcode
status=scratch" to checkin a scratch tape for database backup. Right after
that, I remembered that I should check the volhist. So I issued "q volh
t=dbb" and find out that the volume I was trying to check in dad been used
for database backup. So I did "delete volh t=dbb todate=-14" to try to turn
that volume into a scratch tape. But after this command, TSM server hung. I
waited a while and then issued "cancel proc ***" to cancel the checkin
process. I guess the command sequence created a database deadlock or
something and "q proc" told me the cancelling is in process. I waited about
an hour, hoping the TSM sever can figure out a way itself. But finally I
decide to stop TSM server. When I tried to restart the server, I had a error
of "Can not open adsmserv.lock". So I mv it to "adsmserv.lock.old" and
restart was succesful. To my surprise, TSM 4.1, unlike ADSM3.1, remembers
what it was doing last time it was running. When I did "q proc", the
cancelling proc was still in process.

        Does anybody know what I should do? Thanks.

Jie

System and Storage Administrator
ROW Sciences Inc @NCTR FDA
phone: 870-543-7163