ADSM-L

Re: MagStar Tape Library #3575 vs. LTO

2001-02-08 20:10:35
Subject: Re: MagStar Tape Library #3575 vs. LTO
From: Denis L'Huillier <dlhuillier AT PERSHING DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:11:57 -0500
A couple of things about IBM's LTO:
1. The life span of LTO is less then that of 3590 (3590 7yrs 3580 4-5yrs(I
think))
2. Currently LTO writes data in 384 Track format compared to 3590B1X at 128
Track and 3590E1X at 256 Track.
     This does 2 things for LTO. Increased data capacity (good and more chance
of unrecoverable media errors (bad
3.  LTO is much cheaper then 3590.  3590 and LTO are not really in the same
league.  LTO was introduced to be a
      obvious alternative to DLT, not 3590.
4.  Access time on 3590 drives is much better.
Basically, if your business requirements do not require you to keep archived
data for 7 years (SEC requirements for Brokerage/Banks)
then LTO may be the solution.... If you can deal with the slight performance
loss.

If you decide 3590 is the way to go look into IBM's new "starfire"  drives.
They are not available yet but coming very soon.
They are the size of a LTO drive using 3590 (J/K Carts) media and many
enhancements.  They will also be cheaper then the current 3590 B/EXX drives.
Also they will work very well with IBM's 3584 Tape Library.  Much much much
faster robotics then the 3494.
Hope this helps...

Lu Ann Mezera <L.Mezera AT LABSAFETY DOT COM> on 02/08/2001 12:45:09 PM