ADSM-L

MagStar Tape Library #3575 vs. LTO

2001-02-08 12:51:20
Subject: MagStar Tape Library #3575 vs. LTO
From: Lu Ann Mezera <L.Mezera AT LABSAFETY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:45:09 -0600
We are reaching storage capacity limit in our current MagStar Tape Library.
We have TSM 3.7 (will upgrade to 4.1 later in the summer).  Our TSM
environment is in an AIX environment.  We have 6 RS/6000 AIX nodes on an SP
switch and about 30 NT servers that we back up nightly.

We are looking at upgrading or adding on to our existing library.  One
option our vendor would like us to consider is the use of a LTO system.  He
said that although it is not quite as fast our as MagStar the storage
capacity on the tapes are 100 gig native and 200 gig compressed.  Does
anyone have any opinions on that?

Thanks.
Lu Ann Mezera
Data Center Supervisor