ADSM-L

Questions about HSM

2001-02-07 11:11:32
Subject: Questions about HSM
From: Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:13:15 +0100
I have a few questions about HSM. Probably someone can help me?

1. The HSM manual states that if the migrated files and the backup of these
files go to the same server the server can backup the files from the
migrated data. In my opinion this involves a copy of data. I never observed
such an activity on my server. On the other hand, according to the q occ
command, spacemanaged data is approxmiately the same amount as backup data.
Backup data contains many more files, probably because it contains
directories, too. Backup is not required before migration. How is the copy
done? How does ADSM know the data goes to the same server? When is set HSM
up I thought it would be more flexible to use 2 server stanzas for the same
server.

2. I will have to move HSM to a new system. Fortunately, I can take the RAID
the spacemanaged filesystems resides on to the new system. Has anyone tried
this? Which steps are necessary?  The old and the new system are RS/6000
with AIX. On the old system the client is level 3.1.0.7, on the new system I
will use TSM 4.1.

3. Has anyone a list of files belonging to HSM which should be backed up?

Thanks in advance for help!

Gerhard

---
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Regional Computing Center     tel.   ++49/711/685 5806
University of Stuttgart       fax:   ++49/711/682357
Allmandring 30a
D 70550
Stuttgart
Germany