ADSM-L

Re: Perl Module Adsm.pm

2001-02-02 11:05:10
Subject: Re: Perl Module Adsm.pm
From: John Marquart <jomarqua AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:06:52 -0500
Is it possible to put this module in CPAN  and/or start a sourceforge
project - so that those of us so inclined can update/develop the module /
A module into something truly worthwhile to the ADSM community?

Anyone want to volunteer?

-j
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Gerhard Rentschler wrote:
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Gerhard Rentschler wrote:

> Hi,
> with some work I got Adsm.pm to work on Windows 2000. Things I had to do:
>
>  - add path to dsmadmc  to path env variable (unfortunately not done during
> installation)
>
>  - add env variables DSM_DIR and DSM_CONFIG with correct values. Otherwise
> dsm.opt and dsmameng.txt will not be found. There is one special problem:
> dsmc will not work with dscameng.txt for dsmadmc and vice versa. But there
> is only one env variable for both.
>
>  - comment out the check for the mode bits of .dsmrc. This check could be
> modified to use a Windows-specific function. But I haven't done it yet.
>
>  - remove /dev/null in the open statement for dsmadmc. Windows doesn't have
> /dev/null.
>
> There might still a few problems left, e.g. the stty statement. I just
> didn't run across it.
>
> The module is a useful tool. I does what can be done. A few well known
> problems make use of dsmadmc less comfortable than it could be. The normal
> output format (for example with the q se command) in columns with column
> headers is difficult to process by a program. I would recommend to use
> the -comma option with dsmadmc. Even this way not everything is fine. In the
> output of the q db command some values are inclosed in double apostrophes,
> some are not for no visible reasons. Very annoying is the fact that numbers
> contain thousand separators which are useless in a comma separated output.
>
> So Adsm.pm is far better than nothing. But a general administration API is
> what we really need.
>
> Best regards
> Gerhad
>
> ---
> Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
> Regional Computing Center     tel.   ++49/711/685 5806
> University of Stuttgart       fax:   ++49/711/682357
> Allmandring 30a
> D 70550
> Stuttgart
> Germany

John "Jamie" Marquart           |     This message posted 100% MS free.
Digital Library SysAdmin        |  Work: 812-856-5174   Pager: 812-334-6018
Indiana University Libraries    |  ICQ: 1131494         D'net Team:  6265