ADSM-L

LTO versus 3590

2001-02-01 10:33:03
Subject: LTO versus 3590
From: "Verellen, Luc [NCSBE]" <lverelle AT NCSBE.JNJ DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:34:38 +0100
Hello,

We're in the process of configuring a new TSM server in an offsite location,
and we need to decide on the tape technology that we're going to use.

Some information on our backup mechanism : we do use collocation, and use
incremental forever (we never take full backups).  Some of our file servers
are huge, and contain 500.000 - 1.000.000 files.

LTO seems to be a very good solution (data rate, capacity,...) but I am
afraid that the "streaming"  effect (instead of the 3590 start/stop) will
cause full volume restores to take forever.

Is there anyone who want to share some information on the tradeoff between
start/stop and streaming versus price?

Thanks,  Luc.

Luc Verellen
Johnson & Johnson