ADSM-L

FW: Which client version is best for a Win2000-server ?

2001-01-30 15:24:23
Subject: FW: Which client version is best for a Win2000-server ?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:25:50 -0500
I have been wrestling with this question myself, and it's difficult.

Below is the information I have collected from THIS LIST on the various
client levels for Win2K.  You have to be CAREFUL what you are doing
here, as there are problems with all available versions, some with very
ugly consequences.

If anyone else has information to add below, or finds I am mistaken,
PLEASE UPDATE and REPOST it, I think it will help everyone.  I would
like very much to hear that I am WRONG about these outstanding problems!

Most of the problems below only affect those who are backing up via the
scheduler.

++++++++++++++
Level 3.7.2.01
 There is a VERY SERIOUS BUG in this level that affects only some
people.  On both Win2K server and Win2K PRO, you can get "export of RSM
data base fails" error during scheduled bacukp.  At that point the
scheduler stops and no backups are done, but it REPORTS SUCCESS BACK TO
THE SERVER.  We had one office with 4 WIn2k PRO machines that went
without backups over a month because of this error.  (That office no
longer uses TSM!) YOU CAN"T BE SURE whether you are getting backups of
your Win2K machines or not without checking the scheduler log.

This should be posted as a HIPER problem on the Tivoli web site as it is
a MAJOR INTEGRITY problem to report failed backups as OK.  Search the
archives at www.adsm.org for "EXPORT RSM" to see the entries.  If you
don't need registry backups, you can avoid the problem by using the
BACKUPREG NO option. One person reported correcting the problem by
setting the RSM service to MANUAL start.

Our old favorite the Daylight Savings time bug has returned in the
3.7.2.01 client, it takes a full backup when it should not.

+++++++++++++++
Level 3.7.2.17
This level has the fix for the Daylight Savings Time bug.

+++++++++++++++
Level 4.1.1
One person has reported the RSM EXPORT error as in the 3.7.2.01 client
above.

At Level 4.1.1, the scheduler does not give you backups of the system
objects, you must create your own .bat files to back them up with
commands.

Level 4.1.1 also has the Daylight Savings Time bug.

++++++++++++++++
Level 4.1.1.16
This level has the fix for the Daylight Savings Time bug.

++++++++++++++++
Level 4.1.2
This level has only been available since December.  No reports so far
of the EXPORT RSM bug.  This level also backs up system objects
automatically, except for the two following cases:

Your server must be at 3.7.4 at least, or the client will not back up
the registry, even though earlier versions of the client did so.

The 4.1.2 client has changed the structure for registry backups so
that a system32\config subdirectory is created in \adsm.sys to store
part of the registry backup.  However, the 4.1.2 client has an EXCLUDE
statement that prevents these files in system32\config from being sent
to the server.  Current older TSM clients that will be upgraded in place
also, in MANY INSTALLATIONS, have this EXCLUDE statement that will
prevent registry backups from being saved.

So you must ALTER your include/exclude lists to add:
include *:\adsm.sys\...\* , and you must PREVENT YOUR USERS from
installing the 4.1.2 clients until you have done so.  FOR TIVOLI TO
DISTRIBUTE THE CLIENT IN THIS FASHION IS APPALLING, and the person who
thought this is a good idea is a dork.  This is something else that
should be reported as a HIPER problem on the Tivoli Web site, as having
someone simply install the 4.1.2 client over an older client will CREATE
AN INTEGRITY PROBLEM that they will never be aware of until they try to
do a restore.  THIS PROBLEM AFFECTS WINNT as well as WIN2K.  Search
www.adsm.org for "REGISTRY EXCLUDED" to see the entries.

So, pick your poison.  And I hope somebody out there can tell me I am
WRONG about many of these problems!