ADSM-L

Re: Question about collocation.

2001-01-26 12:54:44
Subject: Re: Question about collocation.
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:56:06 -0500
Hello Paul,

We do this.  You can set maxscratch=0 and define private volumes to the
storage pool, or you can set maxscratch=nnn, and use scratch tapes that
way, without using up all of the tapes in your robot.  We do the former,
mostly.  It is not a problem to have more users than tapes.  In fact, as
tape capacities get larger and larger, this is more and more likely to
happen.  The thing you need to watch out for, over time, is that your tapes
will eventually fill up.  It is important to monitor this and make sure you
have an adequate number of tapes in empty or filling status.  If too many
of your tapes fill up, then the remaining tapes will acquire data from more
and more nodes.  The problem comes when it becomes time to reclaim those
tapes.  If you get too many nodes (or collocation clusters) on a tape, then
the reclaim process will require too many tape mounts.  Eventually, you
will find that the reclaim process bogs down on tape mounts.  This varies
depending on what type of tape drives you are using.  Drives with slower
mount times will suffer more than those with faster mount times.  They
point I am trying to make here is don't wait for your tape robot to fill up
before adding tape capacity.

..Paul