ADSM-L

ADSM Database Growth Surge

2001-01-23 05:15:31
Subject: ADSM Database Growth Surge
From: "Smith, Bob" <bob.smith AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:02:01 -0000
We are running ADSM 3.1.2.42 (about to go to 3.7) on RS/6000 under AIX on an
IBM 3466 Network Storage Manager. Yesterday, database utilization reached
95% - 6,002,457 pages used in total - so I added another 5Gb of space.
Overnight, whilst backing up 1 very large server, the recovery log filled
completely (and very quickly) even though a db backup trigger had kicked off
a backup. Recovery log is 4.9 Gb. From the stats on the client, I can see
that only 206 objects were backed up before the process died, but 850,000
objects were deleted.

My main concern is that the used database pages has surged to 6,745,314
since yesterday, even though the number of backup versions stored has grown
only from 45,000,712 to 45,033,047 - ie 33,000 extra backup records vs.
745,000 database pages consumed. Can anyone offer an explanation as to why
this sudden growth?

Many thanks