ADSM-L

Re: Backupset Restore of TDP Domino Data

2001-01-22 15:47:13
Subject: Re: Backupset Restore of TDP Domino Data
From: James Thompson <mezron AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:48:51 -0700
Eric,

It looks like you already now the real problem.  Your hardware is not
sufficient for your business need.  You may be able to kludge something to
work, but you really should look into getting additional hardware.  You
could even setup a dedicated TSM server for just your TDP for Domino
information.  With that said, you asked if your copy storage pool could have
longer retention.  As long as the copy storage pool tapes are not over
written )  and you had a TSM database backup from the appropriate point in
time, you could restore the TSM database backup to an alternate server,
point your TDP client to the alternate server and restore from the copy
storage pool.  Or you could perform a database backup of your current TSM
server, restore the database backup that knows about the copy storage pool
volumes, preform your TDP restore, then restore the TSM server to the
database backup that you took prior to doing this whole process.  End result
is yes you could possible do something, but the micromanagement and time and
potential for doing someing wrong is not really worth it.  As was stated on
this forum 'tapes are cheaper than data'  It may not be possible, but you
really need to look into getting sufficient hardware to fulfill your
business need.

James Thompson

From: Eric Lindbeck Reply-To: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU Subject: Re: Backupset Restore of TDP Domino Data
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:58:08 -0500

James,

Good question. Our primary goal is to find a cost-effective way to send our
data off-site (Domino & vanilla NT files). Additionally, we need to extend
our data retention. We can retain only 5 versions of our Domino db's in our
library (which is pretty much full and not upgradeable), but need to keep 3
months.

We've been creating the backupsets on a DLT stacker. As far as TSM is
concerned, its a manaul library, but there's some intelligence in it that
will mount the next tape when the current tape is filled.

What I'm thinking now is that the best option is to go with the copy
storage pool on the DLT stacker. We'll still have only 5 versions worth of
retention, but at least we'll get the data off-site. Unless......is there a
way for the copy storage pool to live by retention policies which are
different from its backup storage pool?

Thanks, Eric L.

James Thompson To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU > IL.COM> Subject: Re: Backupset
Restore of TDP Domino Data Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" > RIST.EDU>

01/19/01 10:08 PM Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

Eric,

Since you are using the TDP for Domino connect agent to perform the
backups, you can not use backup sets for restore. You have explained the
steps you are trying to do, but haven't really stated what business need
you are trying to fulfill. Why do you want an extra copy of the domino
databases? Is it to provide redundancy in case of a restore? If so, a copy
storage pool would be a better alternative? Once again, currently only the
backup archive client is aware and can take advantage of backupsets. To the
server, active versions of files look all the same (it's just data), so you
can generate backupsets of api data. But it is a waste of a tape since you
will not be able to restore from it in any situation.

James Thompson ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Lindbeck" To: Sent:
Friday, January 19, 2001 2:38 PM Subject: Re: Backupset Restore of TDP
Domino Data

Hi James,

Thanks for the response. Here's what we're trying to do:

1) Using TDP for Domino, backup our domino databases from a Solaris client
to TSM using the "domdsmc selective * ..." command. 2) Then, on the server
side, issue "generate backupset ..." to dump the active versions of the
databases to a manual tape stacker. 3) At this point, I can see the
backupset from the server, but not from the client. The backupset still
resides in the library on the TSM server.

Just got off the phone with TSM support. According to them, when you create
a backupset of data that was backed up via an API (Domino, in our case),
all the data is smushed together into one big object. That object is in a
format that the B/A client cannot understand, making the restore
impossible. So, if it even makes a difference, I must have missed something
along the way to not be able to see the backupsets from the client in the
first place. My only recourse is to create a copy storage pool, it seems.
Any other options?

I should mention that I've had absolutely no problems getting backupsets to
work on our NT filesystem data.

Thanks, Eric L

James Thompson To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU > IL.COM> Subject: Re: Backupset
Restore of TDP Domino Data Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" > RIST.EDU>

01/19/01 02:47 PM Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

Only files that are backed up using a 'dsmc incremental ' or 'dsmc
selective' and only

the active versions of those files are included in a backupset.

If you backed the domino databases up as file using the backup/archive
client,

you should be able to use a backupset generated from that filespace to
restore the

files. Are you using a windows client or unix? Can you query the backupset
from

the server and from the client machine? Are you trying to restore the
backupset

while it is still assigned to the TSM server? Or are you moving the
backupset volumes

to the local machine and trying it from there?

James Thompson

>From: Eric Lindbeck >Reply-To: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" >To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU >Subject: Backupset Restore of TDP Domino Data
>Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:08:59 -0500 > >Greetings *SM'ers, > >I'm looking for
clarification of APAR IC28451. It states that: >"There is no support in the
[TDP for Domino] API for the backup set >format. Therefore, backup set data
that was backed up via the API >cannot be restored or used." > >Does this
mean that it's not possible to restore the Domino database >files at all,
even if you just want to treat them like generic file >system files and do
the restore via a B/A client? > >I've been trying unsuccessfully to do the
restore of Domino BackupSet >data-- the B/A client doesn't seem to know
that a BackupSet even >exists. But I'm hoping that it's just a problem with
my client >software version (3.7.2). Does anyone else have experience with
this? > > Thanks in advance, > Eric S. Lindbeck > Data Storage
Administrator > Network Infrastructure Services > SCT