ADSM-L

Re: IBM 35xx Libraries, Windows 2000 and TSM - Observations

2001-01-19 11:22:58
Subject: Re: IBM 35xx Libraries, Windows 2000 and TSM - Observations
From: Mike Collins <E_Mike_Collins AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:24:18 -0700
Hi Kelly,

The folks working in that area tell me that 8 character labels are
supported w/ LTO.   Label libvol doesn't work with RSM though so it's not
clear if you're still talking about a Windows environment.   It's suggested
that you open up a problem report if you're still not able to get things
working.

Kelly Lipp writes:
 > Excellent!  Let the tape boys so the drive drivers, but let you TSM guys
do
 > the library.  Leaving it to Microsoft is a real bad idea!
 >
 > While we're on this topic:
 >
 > I'm having trouble getting tapes to label properly in a 3584.  The
barcodes
 > on the tapes (provided with the IBM tapes) have eight characters.  label
 > libvol appears to label them correctly, but when attempts are made to
use
 > the tapes we're getting an I/O error reading the labels.  Are we limited
 > six characters?  If so, why do the LTO specified labels have eight
 > characters (six useful ones with the last two being L1)?  Any ideas how
 > work around this short of using a magic marker to wipe out the L1?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Kelly

Best Regards,

Mike Collins