ADSM-L

Re: 64-bit

2001-01-18 10:07:35
Subject: Re: 64-bit
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT NISA.GC DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:08:50 -0600
Jie,

I really doubt that an MCA mksysb will restore properly on PCI machine. Also,
it shouldn't matter to an application whether the OS kernel is 32- or 64-bit.

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT nisa.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557
----------------
>>> JWu AT NCTR.FDA DOT GOV 18-Jan-01 8:42:26 AM >>>
>>> JWu AT NCTR.FDA DOT GOV 18-Jan-01 8:42:26 AM >>>
        We will get a new F80 server to replace our old MCA TSM server. The
F80 has 64-bit architecture and we would like to have a 64-bit kernel for
better performance. I am thinking (1) if cloning the MCA server to the F80
will work, (2) if we later enable 64-bit kernal, will it cause trouble on
TSM?

        If anybody has done similar cloning using 'mksysb' or 'sysback',
could you share your experience? Thanks.

        Jie