ADSM-L

Re: Archiving

2001-01-18 03:08:08
Subject: Re: Archiving
From: Joerg Nouvertne <joerg.nouvertne AT WTAL DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:11:28 +0100
On Tuesday 16 January 2001 09:00, you wrote:
> Hy everyone,
>
> we are discussing the possibilities of archiving data with TSM or other
> products (from NT,UNIX).
> Our requirements are to archive data for about 30 years. TSM is in
                                                                     ^^^^^^^^

I don't know if this has changed with TSM. In ADSM 3.1, the maximum archive
period is 9999 days (~25 years)

> discussion because we use it already for backup ( and in some cases we use
> the archive-command ).
> The policy domains for the clients for archiving will be (from my point of
> view) totally different to those for backup.

We have different archive management classes (policies) for different
timeframes (1year, 5years,etc) and choose the appropriate for the archives.

> Can anybody share his good (or bad) experience in long term archiving with
> whatever kind of library in the background (DVD or tape).

Regarding tape technilogy, we are running a script that moves the data from
any volume which has not been accessed for a longer period (e.g 1year). This
make sure, that the data is readable even after 10 years.