ADSM-L

TSM and Restore....

2001-01-17 15:06:25
Subject: TSM and Restore....
From: Etienne Brachel <hc_dmsr AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:06:25 -0500
Hi TSM'rs,

I had a strange experience today. I worked on a Sun Solaris system and it
has the client 3.7.X installed.

The system is backed up for approx. 5 years now

A library is used containing 4 drives.

This system has about 130 GB of data and collocation is used to keep data as
much as possible on same volumes.

In total there are 19 Volumes !!

We needed to make a script to restore all filesystems to the Solaris
machine. because
"dsmc res -subdir=yes -preservepath=yes "/ /var /opt" "/restore/""
is not possible. Only one source, for example "/var", can be specified.

--ISSUE--
Why isn't it possible to start one command-line session to restore all
Why isn't it possible to start one command-line session to restore all
filesystems ?

All restores are seperate sessions (filesystem by filesystem) . Every
Session needs data of all 19 tapes (Incremental Forever). Why does TSM mount
all 19 tapes for each session ? We have about 14 filesystems that need to be
restored..... RESULT : 266 Tape Mounts......!!

How does the GUI handle this ? does it also start a seperate session for
each filesystem or directory that was selected for restore ?

OR does it collect info for restore to see that only a one time mount is
necessary to read the data of a volume for all filesystems that need to be
restored ?

Am I doin anything wrong ? or is this how restores are treated with
command-line sessions... or maybe an overall treatment.. ?

Is there another way of doin this ? because a 14 hours restore is necessary
to restore all filesystems with collocation enabled... I think that is very
poor..

Hope someone can help me...

Thanks and regards,

Etienne Brachel
Touch The Progress Services b.v.
Certified Tivoli Storage Management Consultant
e_brachel AT ttp-int DOT com