ADSM-L

Re: Restoring a 3.7.3 database to a 4.1.2 server

2001-01-15 09:13:18
Subject: Re: Restoring a 3.7.3 database to a 4.1.2 server
From: John O'Neall <jon AT IN2P3 DOT FR>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:16:15 +0100
"Braich, Raminder" wrote:

> John,
>     Here is an interesting scenario. What if you took the database backup of
> 3.7, something bad happened and you had to blow away the server, say you
> reloaded WIN NT on the server.

What an awful thought.  ;-)

> Now you upgrade to 4.1.2 and try to restore
> 3.7 database, it does not work. It would work perhaps if you have 3.7 CD and
> load it first and then do an upgrade and then migrate the database. I dont
> see any workaround if you do not have the 3.7 CD.

That's just it: I don't have it.  I ordered 4.1 directly!

But thanks for your comments.

I find this situation exceptionally (even for IBM, or Tivoli, or whoever)
time-consuming.  Our method of upgrading has always been to install the new
version on a new machine, test it thoroughly, then to backup the DB on the old
machine and restore it on the new one.  This has the _enormous_ advantage that
if anything goes wrong, we have only to turn the old machine back on and we're
in business again, with a minimal loss of time.

If now we can no longer do this, but must updgrade ADSM/TSM itself directly on
the production machine,  it can _only_ take longer, especially if we are obliged
to return to the original system.  This is _not_ what I consider a Good Thing!

D#*n.  John

| John O'Neall                  |                              |
| Centre de Calcul de l'IN2P3   |  tel:  +33 (0)4 78 93 08 80  |
| Villeurbanne, France          |  fax:  +33 (0)4 72 69 41 70  |