ADSM-L

Re: DRM question

2001-01-04 11:44:28
Subject: Re: DRM question
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT NISA.GC DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:44:34 -0600
Hi Tom,

>I have a tape, in the DRM copy pool, that indicates 0.0% utilization.
Is the tape 'pending'?

>A couple of days ago a reclaim was running, for this tape, every hour.  The
>reclaim was ending with "success" but the tape was not expiring.
Both of these seem possible: if your reclaim threshold was low (ie 99%) and you
kept wiring a little bit of data to the tape, then TSM would keep reclaiming
it. (If the tape was not in library and ADSM was reclaiming it, this is also
ok, but I don't why it would run every hour.)
By expiring do you mean not going back to scratch? This is possible if it is
not a scratch tape. ie it is permanently assigned to your 'offsite' pool or
your pending days is set high.

>I brought the tape back on site and checked it into the library.
This is not possible to do manually. I hope DRM had moved the status to vaultr.

>DRM now indicates the tape is "mountable" so it will go offsite again tomorrow
>but
>it's in the library for now.
This is ok.

>The tape indicates the last write date was 11/10/2000.
I don't know why this is.

Why do you need the tape back? If you do want it back. Do a move data, expire
inventory, wait for DRM to move the status to vaultr, and its yours.

Miles

>>> Tom.Fluker AT VIASYSTEMS DOT COM 04-Jan-01 10:25:26 AM >>>
I have a tape, in the DRM copy pool, that indicates 0.0% utilization.

A couple of days ago a reclaim was running, for this tape, every hour.  The
reclaim was ending with "success" but the tape was not expiring.

I brought the tape back on site and checked it into the library.  DRM now
indicates the tape is "mountable" so it will go offsite again tomorrow but
it's in the library for now.  The tape indicates the last write date was
11/10/2000.

"q content" won't display what's on the tape.
"delete vol" won't delete the tape because it thinks there's data on the
tape.
"delete vol discarddata=yes" doesn't seem to want to give the tape back.

What am I missing here?  Why won't it give the tape back?  Why won't it
reclaim this tape?

My server is TSM 3.7.4 running on Solaris 2.7.

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas.
Tom Fluker
Viasystems Technologies