ADSM-L

Re: Network Appliance backup speed

2000-12-27 12:44:41
Subject: Re: Network Appliance backup speed
From: Mark Loy <MLoy AT DSSCORP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:45:14 -0500
We had a similar experience here.  RS/6000 - AIX with TSM 3.7 restoring a
Netware box .  My co-worker eventually tested the throughput on the network
by ftp'ing files from each machine.  The bottom line was that the 10/100
NIC driver on our AIX TSM Server needed to be updated and this fixed the
problem.  I'd start with the network test first and go from there.

-> Mark
                    Bob Barden
                    Bob Barden
                    <Bob_Barden@A        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    AL.ORG>              cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Network Appliance backup
speed
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    12/27/2000
                    12:15 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Hi,

I'm currently running TSM 3.7.3 on OS/390 with a TSM client at 3.1.0.7.
We are beginning the process of running backups for a Network Appliance
730.
Client hardware is a Netfinity box with 450 mhz and 256mb memory.
Client is connected to the NetApp box by 100mb Ethernet.
Client to TSM server is also 100mb Ethernet.
NetApp box contains about 3 million objects in a snapshot directory.
(about
100GB of data uncompressed)

My concern is that our backup is taking way too long. (over 24 hours)  Note
that
this backup is the original full backup of this data.
By monitoring the client session we see that the backup will progress to a
certain amount of data being transferred and then we will
spend a majority of the rest of the backup time in IdleW status.

It seems that we are spending a majority of our time evaluating whether a
file
needs to be backed up or not.

Any thoughts or experiences on how to speed up this process would be most
appreciated.

Thanks...