ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC Question

2000-12-27 09:43:23
Subject: Re: DIRMC Question
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:10:02 -0500
> I have a question concerning *SM directories. Back in the early days of
>TSM we used the DIRMC option to put directories to disk rather that tape to
>avoid "thrashing" issues on the tape devices. We are now running TSM 3.7.3
>on OS/390 and I believe that the issue of having directories on tape has
>been addressed. My questions is this: How do I get the directories that
>currently reside in my disk storage pool back to tape?

Brian - You don't want the directories on tape: you are much better off with
        them on disk (assuming that your client file system types are such
that the directory info *does* get stored in a storage pool, rather than
simply in the TSM db).  The issue of having directories on tape has been
addressed by Restore Order; but that's an optimizing solution for an all-tape
situation, not the best solution.  In the absence of DIRMc, the directories
for file systems such as NTFS (but not ordinary Unix file systems) will be
written to the management class with the longest retention period - which may
mean that your directories are not with your data.  Restore Order processing
will create surrogate directories until the actual directory information is
finally encountered on tape, whereupon the file system directories have to be
adjusted.  This can mean more mounts, and certainly a bunch of seek time.
All this slows your restoral.  Having the directories in a disk storage pool
obviously eliminates a lot of restoral overhead, and is to be preferred.
This is summarized in ADSM.QuickFacts, for continuing reference.
    Richard Sims, BU