ADSM-L

Re: TSM security - sharing STK library with other apps

2000-12-21 12:34:03
Subject: Re: TSM security - sharing STK library with other apps
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:36:37 -0500
We are using ACSLS-controlled libraries from an AIX TSM server.
We are not currently sharing, but I can give you a bit of information.

One, TSM will only use tapes for which you have run a TSM CHECKIN command.
So you can put a zillion other tapes in the library, and TSM will ignore
them.
The CHECKIN gives TSM permission to use the tape.
When you enter the command Q LIBV libname, TSM will show you a list of the
tapes currently checked in.

I strongly recommend you use different ranges of VOLSERS for different
applications - that will make it easier to get your CHECKINS done right.

TSM also will not use a tape until it has an IBM-standard internal tape
label written on it.
(Something you do with a TSM LABEL LIBV command - yes, it uses tape labels
even in a UNIX environment....)
And every time the tape is mounted, TSM checks the label before doing
anything with it, so the wrong tape can't get used by accident.

Also, when TSM writes on a tape (or it may happen during a CHECKIN, I'm not
sure), it assigns an ACSLS lock value to the tape, which is stored (I
think), in the ACSLS data base.  If you CHECKOUT the tape, TSM removes the
ACSLS lock it put on the tape.  TSM will not use a mount a tape that has in
incorrect lock value.

So TSM has everything in place to insure that it uses ONLY its own tapes,
and doesn't tromp on any others.
So I would think your concern should be whether the sharing application will
honor any of those same protocols...TSM is more likely to be a victim than a
perpetrator!

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert