ADSM-L

Re: LCD Library Screen: how can I know what's there ?

2000-12-20 09:04:10
Subject: Re: LCD Library Screen: how can I know what's there ?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:04:26 -0500
>I use NT (SP5) . TSM API TSM-3.7.4
>Qualstar Tape Librairies TLSxxxx
>
>We have some clients far from us, and we would like
>to know important informations that are written on the
>LCD screen of our JukeBoxes.
>One of them : The Air Filter has to be cleaned !

Michel - I'm not familiar with the Qualstar libraries, but had a look at the
         manuals on the vendor site...
The manuals don't say specifically, but the library may send Sense information
to its attached host when events occur which trigger the display of operator
alerts, such as the filter message, where the host could log and/or respond to
it.  There is also the opportunity to perform a SCSI-based Request Sense
operation via programming, as perhaps having a program at the site send
notification to some central administration site.  There may be a commercial
package which would perform such tasks for Qualstar libs.

Of course, the real remedy is to have attentive people at the site observe
library conditions from time to time, and thus respond to LCD panel messages.
After all, if some central site were notified of the problem, someone there
would have to call someone at the client site anyway, and have to depend upon
that kind of notification resulting in responsiveness.  (The filter situation
looks rather goofy from what I read in the manuals.  They talk of it as a
configurable number-of-days parameter, after which the library will display
the message. If the operator presses Enter, the counter resets and, from all
appearances, the message will not appear for another 120 days. By that time,
the drives could be damaged by overheating because of a clogged filter.)

   Richard Sims, BU