ADSM-L

TDP for MS-Exchange - monthly backups

2015-10-04 17:25:43
Subject: TDP for MS-Exchange - monthly backups
From: Talafous, John G. [mailto:Talafous AT TIMKEN DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Our Exchange admins would like to use TDP to take daily and monthly backups.
What they like to do is take a full backup on a daily basis. This is kept
for 14 days. They also would like to take a monthly backup and keep them for
a year. This came about because we had some files disappear from some public
folders and no one noticed for about six weeks. Has anyone else run into the
need for daily AND monthly backups? How did you handle it?

I was thinking we could simply specify a second management class for the
monthly backups. The problem comes with deletion.  Now, I don't think the
second mgmt class will work because we have been using the EXCDSMC
/ADSMAUTODELETE command to delete the daily backups. This would also delete
the monthly backups too!!!

Another thought would be to use the EXCDSMC/ADSMDELETE command. But, we
would have to first query the server using one of the EXCDSMC query options,
parse this and generate the EXCDSMC/ADSMDELETE commands.

Has anyone done this before? Can you share your scripts? Can you think of
any easier ways to accomplish this? Does TDP for Exchange work with portable
backup sets?  Any other ideas?

TIA
John G. Talafous              IS Technical Principal
The Timken Company            Global Software Support
P.O. Box 6927                 Data Management
1835 Dueber Ave. S.W.         Phone: (330)-471-3390
Canton, Ohio USA  44706-0927  Fax  : (330)-471-4034
talafous AT timken DOT com           http://www.timken.com