ADSM-L

Re: Return codes from TSM 3.7.2 clients

2000-12-15 14:56:37
Subject: Re: Return codes from TSM 3.7.2 clients
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:55:35 -0500
>We have a desire to move the scheduling of some of our TSM backups out of
>the TSM scheduler,  and instead launch them via a scheduling package (Tivoli
>Maestro).  I found several threads in the archives refering to the return
>code of "dsmc" not being a reliable mechanism to use to confirm a successful
>backup,  but these threads were dated.  I then talked to Tivoli support,
>and they say the client return codes are now reliable.  Does anyone know of
>any caveats I need to be aware of related to launching backups via an
>external scheduler?

Don - The reliability of nothing = nothing.  I don't know what Tivoli
      Support's assertion means if there exists no documentation of
client return codes.  (For assurance, I just did a PDF search of the 4.1 AIX
and Windows client manuals, the Installing the Clients manual, the Quick
Reference, and the 4.1 Messages manual, which turned up no documentation of
return codes.)  I have never seen any documentation of client return codes,
and the last statement we heard from Development on this list was that there
were no return codes.
    Richard Sims, BU