ADSM-L

Re: cannot read barcode in slot #90

2000-12-14 17:24:13
Subject: Re: cannot read barcode in slot #90
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:24:44 -0500
>        Received about 10 messages "cannot read barcode in slot #90" and
>9 other tape slots.
>
>Does anyone know how to determine what tape is in slot number 90.
>
>Seems "q libvol" only lists the tapes that it know about.

When posting such questions, please be specific about the hardware
involved, so that we can advise based upon library type.

With true, automated libraries, TSM does not know or care what cells
tapes are in: all it cares about is its repertoire of tape volsers.
It uses a tape by telling the library to mount it, and it's up to the
library to know were it is.  There is no need to do an audit library
with automated libraries unless highly irregular actions occurred,
like someone opening the doors and yanking tapes out of cells.

With automated libraries, you can simply walk up to the library
console, as with the 3494, and list tapes and cells from its
database.  Each library type has its own peculiarities and
facilities.  With IBM libraries, there are detailed operational
manuals which include information on adding and ejecting tapes.
Check the documentation that came with your library, or is
available from the vendor web site.

   Richard Sims, BU