ADSM-L

Re: TDP for MS Exchange server is very slow

2000-12-13 11:41:09
Subject: Re: TDP for MS Exchange server is very slow
From: "Mark S." <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:41:02 -0600
Leos Stehlik wrote:
>From: "Vmt H|bner" <vhubner AT CSAS DOT CZ>
>>Standard Backup Clients on NT are working good, but TDP for MS Exchange
>>server is very very slow (Full backup 6G/12h).
>
>I saw similar behavior. This could be because the TDP for Exchange by
>default uses software compression
>on the TDP side. We tried explicitly to set the COMPRESSION NO in the
>DSM.OPT file, but this didn't solve
>the problem. The goal was to do:
>update node <nodename> compression=no
>This has been - of course - done on the server side.

Keep in mind that settings that TSM uses in the dsm.opt and dsm.sys
files do not necessarily affect TDP operations. (For instance, normal
expirations do not affect databases backed up with TDP for SQL.) Most
TDP applications have their own utilities for performing functions such
as retention, expiration, and other operations.

Review the manual, and look in www.redbooks.ibm.com. There is a redbook
on TSM and MS Exchange.

--
Mark Stapleton (stapleto AT berbee DOT com)
Mark Stapleton (stapleto AT berbee DOT com)