ADSM-L

HSM disaster: all backups expired

2000-12-12 03:34:38
Subject: HSM disaster: all backups expired
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:35:31 +0100
Hi,

last weekend, the backup of our biggest HSM filesystem (AIX 4.3.2,
ADSM 3.1.0.8) expired all files !!! I do not know the reason; the
only hint I get is one line in dsmerror.log:
TransErrno: Unexpected error from fioGetFS:statfs, errno = 4

My main concern now is: how do I handle the situation? Since the
backups are marked inactive in the TSM server (4.1.1), all files
have now to be backed up again. Having 465 GB in ~100000 files,
this will take a loooong time.

Is there any top secret and well hidden command, that lets me switch
  the ACTIVE-flag on again in the TSM DB?

The new backup process is now recalling all files, although I expected
  it to simply make a copy within the TSM server. Why? ("Migration
  Requires Backup?" is set to "No".)

Any hints and tips are welcome.

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet