ADSM-L

Re: Recovery Log Problems while in Normal Mode

2000-12-07 02:46:47
Subject: Re: Recovery Log Problems while in Normal Mode
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:47:38 +0100
Hi,

contrary to the other responses you got so far, I would think that
1.5 GB log size should be big enough for a 13.5 GB DB if you are doing
daily DB backups. (Ours is 0.8 GB , Db size ist 38 GB.)

Was EXPIRE INVENTORY running when the server crashed?

Perhaps you had the same problem as we had last weekend: Our recovery
log went full (but did not crash the server). The reason: Due to the
Daylight Savings Time (DST) error in the Windows TSM client, many of our
Windows clients did full backups after the DST switch. So, many backup
copies became inactive and were expired through the EXPIRE INVENTORY run
last weekend, causing an unusually big amount of change activity against
the DB, which all had to be buffered in the recovery log during DB
backup.

Reinhard

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet