ADSM-L

Scheduler Batch File -- Client 3.7.2.1x or 4.1.1 -- Win9x or ME

2000-12-06 00:42:00
Subject: Scheduler Batch File -- Client 3.7.2.1x or 4.1.1 -- Win9x or ME
From: "Jennifer I. Moore" <jim1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:24:20 -0500
Gentle greetings,

We recently discovered that in the newer releases of the client code, when
using the Configuration Wizard in the Client GUI to set up a system for
automatic backups, a batch file which runs the Sched95 executable with the
appropriate options is installed the Startup folder.

When the system boots, the batch file runs, the TSM Scheduler is started,
an identifiable icon appears in the System Tray, and a "Finished" DOS
window from the batch file run remains open on the desktop.

The questions we have are these:

--  Has anyone else seen this and/or found it to be problematic?
--  Is the residual DOS window causing any confusion for your user community?
--  Is the residual DOS window causing any confusion for your user community?
--  Has anyone found a workaround and would be able/willing to share it
--  Has anyone found a workaround and would be able/willing to share it
with us?
with us?

--  Here is what we have tried so far:
We thought the simple solution was to move the batch file to the baclient
We thought the simple solution was to move the batch file to the baclient
folder, and create a shortcut in the Startup folder which pointed to the
batch file in its new location.  The shortcut was then set to close on
exit.  It seemed to work fine -- the Scheduler started, the DOS windows
disappeared, and all seemed well.

However, when we needed to make a change or update to the TSM Scheduler
using the Configuration Wizard in the Client GUI, our "solution" revealed
its flaw.  As it turns out, once the batch file is moved, the Wizard no
longer recognizes that the Scheduler has already been configured, and the
option to "Update existing Scheduler" is not available.  The only option is
to create a new Scheduler, which then installs a new batch file in the
Startup folder.  The result is a batch file *and* a shortcut to the
previous batch file, both residing in the Startup folder, and both
launching on reboot.  We didn't take a look at what is happening in the
registry, but one can imagine that there is likely a bit of confusion there
as well.  Therefore, this workaround is not something we feel comfortable
recommending to our user community.

We welcome any thoughts, information, experiences, and/or
suggestions.  Thank you in advance.

Jennifer Moore