ADSM-L

Re: Failure of Archive Events with 4.11.16 client on NT

2000-12-01 12:04:41
Subject: Re: Failure of Archive Events with 4.11.16 client on NT
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:04:52 -0600
All of the testing I have done has been on windows NT 4.
With 3.1.06 client, schedule an archive for the pagefile, 1 object failed,
schedule shows as failed on the server.

With both the 3.7.2 and 4.11.16 clients, 1 object failed, schedule shows as
completed on server.  Also in the dsmsched.log will be the following:

With 3.1.0.6:
ANS1803E Archive processing of 'C:\*' finished with failures.
ANS1512E Scheduled event '@216' failed.  Return code = 4.

With 3.7.2 or 4.11.16:
ANS1803E Archive processing of '\\node1\c$\*' finished with failures.
Scheduled event '@229' completed successfully

The APAR that TIVOLI mentioned to me is APAR IC27409 below - which didn't
really seem to match my problem but they assured me that this covered my
problem also and that it would be fixed in 4.1.2.

_____________________________ APAR
IC27409_______________________________________

RESULT CODE FROM COMPLETION OF SCHEDULED EVENT IS NOT
DISPLAYED IN THE SCHEDULE LOG AS DOCUMENTED.

ERROR DESCRIPTION:
Publication SH26-4105-00 Tivoli Storage Manager for UNIX
Using the Backup-Archive Clients indicates that the return code
from a scheduled event will be displayed in the schedule log:
Finished command. Return code is:
In testing with the AIX 3.7.2.0 client this line is not
observed in the schedule log.

LOCAL FIX:
The result code is sent to the server and can be determined by
reviewing the output of a Query Event command.

PROBLEM SUMMARY:
* USERS AFFECTED: All clients                                  *
* PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: Schedule reports "Scheduled event       *
*                      completed successfully" inspite of      *
*                      errors during backup.                   *
* RECOMMENDATION:                                              *
 PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
 The routine that prints out the results of executing schedule
 event was passed wrong parameter, that caused wrong message
 to be displayed. Code was modified to handle the situation
 properly.

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg
trushfor AT city.winnipeg.mb DOT ca