ADSM-L

Re: Magstar MP with ADSM on AIX

2000-11-29 11:58:10
Subject: Re: Magstar MP with ADSM on AIX
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT NISA.GC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:58:11 -0600
Hi Nancy,

we have the exact same hardware. Your problem is most likely because you
haven't enabled compression. I would recommend hardware compression. To turn on
the hardware compression:
smitty devices
tape devices
Change / show characteristics of a tape drive
select your drive
select Use hardware compression on tape = yes

That should do it.

BTW: if you see hardware compression, force compression off at the server level.
Also you may want to set the capacity of the tapes to 'Drive' in ADSM.

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT nisa.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557
----------------
>>> Nancy Reeves <Nancy.Reeves AT WICHITA DOT EDU> 29-Nov-00 10:32:02 AM >>>
>>> Nancy Reeves <Nancy.Reeves AT WICHITA DOT EDU> 29-Nov-00 10:32:02 AM >>>
I've been nomail for a while, so I apologize if this has been discussed
recently. I tried a database search, but it had an error.

I am running ADSM v3 on AIX with a 3575 tape library and 3570 "Magstar MP
Fast Access Linear Tape C-Format" tapes.  My understanding is that these
tapes hold 5 G uncompressed, and up to 3 times that with hardware
compression. I am only getting 5 G on them, even when I tell ADSM that
their maximum capacity is larger. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to
get the compression working?

I know only a little AIX, but I do have a coworker who is more proficient
than I.

Thank you.

Nancy Reeves
Technical Support, Wichita State University
Nancy.Reeves AT wichita DOT edu