ADSM-L

[no subject]

From: Redbooks at IBM on 11/28/2000 08:28 PM EST

cc:    (bcc: Pat Randall/Almaden/IBM)
Subject:  Residency Re-Announcement:  TI-A100 Backing up Microsoft SQL &
      Exchange with Tivoli Storage Manager

Residency Re-Announcement:  TI-A100 Backing up Microsoft SQL & Exchange
with Tivoli Storage Manager

Benefits to Resident:  Microsoft SQL Server and Exchange Server are core
products in Microsoft's back-office strategy. Tivoli Storage Management
Data Protection products are being enhanced to provide complementary backup
solutions. This residency will enable residents to apply TSM backup and
restore techniques with confidence in setting up and maintaining cast iron,
industrial strength backup solutions for the business-critical data held on
these servers.
The emphasis of this book will be on the new functions introduced by Tivoli
Data Protection Products for MS SQL and MS Exchange, Version 2.2. The
experience gained will be of crucial value to those architecting,
designing, and implementing backup solutions for these important areas.

This San Jose residency begins 29 Jan 2001, ends 09 Mar 2001 (6 weeks), and
requires 3 residents.  Please submit nominations by 08 Jan 2001.

Protection for Microsoft SQL Server Version 2.2 and Tivoli Data Protection
for Microsoft Exchange Server Version 2.2. The residents will set up and
test the products in a risk-free lab environment with support from
development.

Version 2.2 provides new functionality as well as support for the 2000
releases of Microsoft SQL and Exchange. Most significantly, the new version
of these Tivoli Data Protection products supports one of the important
features of Tivoli Storage Management - automatic expiration and version
control by policy. This support frees users from having to explicitly
delete backup objects in the Tivoli Storage Manager server.

The residency will produce two new IBM Redbooks on the subject for early
release on the World Wide Web.

Objectives:  The objectives of this residency are to:
Install and test the new product code
Highlight any usage issues with development
Create two new Redbooks: Backing up Microsoft SQL with Tivoli Storage
Manager and Backing up Microsoft EXchange with Tivoli Storage Manager

This residency is suitable for Customers, Business Partners, and IBMers.

A basic requirement for all residents is the ability to read and clearly
express concepts and procedures in common English.

Resident Prerequisites:  Good knowledge of MS back office products

Skill levels below are from 5 to 1, where 5 = expert skill and 1 = no
skill.

You personally do not have to have all of these skills to be considered a
good candidate for this residency.  The project leader will match your
skills with that of the other nominations to put together the best team
possible.

Skills Needed:

|----------------------------------+-----|
|Skill Area                        |Skill|
|                                  |Level|
|----------------------------------+-----|
|English                           |  3  |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|MS SQL Server implementation and  |  4  |
|administration                    |     |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|MS Exchange Server implementation |  4  |
|and administration                |     |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|General networking skill          |  4  |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|Ability to communicate concepts   |  4  |
|and detail                        |     |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|Tivoli Storage Manager            |  4  |
|administration and usage          |     |
|----------------------------------+-----|

Documentation Skills Needed:

|----------------------------------+-----|
|Documentation Skill Area          |Skill|
|                                  |Level|
|----------------------------------+-----|
|Freelance                         |  3  |
|----------------------------------+-----|

These documentation skills are desirable, but not critical, for acceptance
into this residency.  The only definite requirement is a readiness to learn
and to handle your own data entry needs.

Nominees must have the approval of their managers before submitting a
nomination.  IBM Redbooks sends e-mail acknowledgements of all nominations.

Nominations must be complete and detailed.  The more information you
provide about your experience and qualifications, the better your chances
of being selected.

If you have access to the Internet, please click on this link
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/internsh.nsf/GetResidency?OpenAgent&ID=TI-A100
 to go directly to this announcement and its online nomination form.
You can also go to the IBM Redbooks Internet site at
http://ibm.com/redbooks and click on the residencies link to see all
current residency announcements and submit nominations online.

If you are an IBMer with access to the IBM Intranet, please click on this
link http://w3.itso.ibm.com/internsh.nsf/GetResidency?OpenAgent&ID=TI-A100
to go directly to this announcement and its online nomination form.

If you do not have Internet access, please complete the form below and
reply back to Redbooks. Since e-mail nominations are processed
automatically, it helps if you keep the field labels unchanged.

          Internet: redbooks AT us.ibm DOT com
          Notes ID: Redbooks at IBM/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

Residency TI-A100-R: Backing up Microsoft SQL & Exchange with Tivoli
Storage Manager

 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 First name*:           |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Last name*:            |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Position or job title*:|
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 E-mail or Notes ID*:   |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Telephone number:      |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Fax number:            |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Company name*:         |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Business address:      |

 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Country*:              |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Nominee's manager*:    |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Manager's e-mail or    |
 Notes ID*:             |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Please identify        |
 yourself as belonging  |
 to one of the following|
 groups                 |
 Customer, Business     |
 Partner, Solution      |
 Developer, IBMer,      |
 Educational Institution|
 or Other*:             |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 IBM contact for        |
 non-IBMers (if any):   |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
    and IBM contact's   |
 e-mail:                |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Fields above marked
 with * are required.

Skill levels below are from 5 to 1, where 5 = expert skill and 1 = no
skill.

Skills:

|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|                                  |         |Skill |
|                                  |         |Level |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|                                  |Requested|Actual|
|Skill Area                        |         |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|English                           |    3    |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
[...]

The above documentation skills are desirable, but not critical, for
acceptance into this residency.  The only definite requirement is a
readiness to learn and to handle your own data entry needs.

|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|Previous experience:                                         |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|Previous residency experience:                               |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|Other pertinent information:                                 |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|

Provide as much detail in the above fields as possible.

For especially well qualified nominees, the dates and duration of this
residency are negotiable.

|-------------------------+------------------|
|Residency Start:         |   29 Jan 2001    |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Residency End:           |   09 Mar 2001    |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Duration:                |     6 weeks      |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Number of Residents:     |   3 residents    |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Nominations Close:       |   08 Jan 2001    |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Candidate Selection:     |   10 Jan 2001    |
|-------------------------+------------------|

Location:  San Jose CA

Leader: Pat Randall, San Jose ITSO Center
    Notes ID: Pat Randall/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
    Internet: randallp AT us.ibm DOT com

Manager: Charlie Ludeman, San Jose ITSO Center
    Notes ID: Charlie Ludeman/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
    Internet: ludeman AT us.ibm DOT com

ITSO will pay approved business travel and living expenses for residency
participants based on IBM guidelines and Travel policy.  Complete
reimbursement guidelines will be provided in the ITSO Residency Acceptance
Letter.   For more detailed information about ITSO and about ITSO
residencies, see http://ibm.com/redbooks

Customers and Business Partners can see IBM Redbooks and Redpieces online
at http://ibm.com/redbooks.  Also available are special features, free
services, useful links, open residencies, and online nomination forms.
Visit this amazing site and then tell a friend.

Employees of IBM, Lotus, or Tivoli will prefer using the IBM Intranet site
at http://w3.itso.ibm.com.

For e-mail notifications about new IBM Redbooks, register and subscribe at
http://ibm.com/redbooks.

Subscribe to iSource. Your source for IBM information by e-mail-at no cost.
Click here!  http://isource.ibm.com/cgi-bin/goto?on=SubscribeNow/ITSO

Important:  Even if you cannot be a resident now, perhaps you could provide
or point us to appropriate, already-existing materials as potential input
to our development efforts.  We would appreciate your help in identifying
any useful material that can be expanded, referenced, or included as is.
If the material significantly contributes to the produced redbook, we will
acknowledge your assistance and may even name the creator as a contributing
author.  We believe that your help will leverage the value of the
already-existing materials and will result in better redbooks produced in
shorter cycle times.

The ITSO Residency program has been honed over many years to provide the
maximum benefit to residents and their businesses.  IBM organizations,
Business Partners, and customers that have provided residents report that
the returning employee has gained significant new skills to enable them to
support IBM's latest products.  These skills can be employed either
directly for services generation or indirectly in technical support of the
sales effort.  Furthermore, the contacts made by the resident within the
development community and with the other residents are invaluable in
keeping these skills up-to-date.

- -
You received this because you are registered with IBM Redbooks and
subscribed for our e-mail service.  To unsubscribe, reply to this note with
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.  Alternatively, visit IBM Redbooks on the
Internet at http://ibm.com/redbooks and update your registration and e-mail
subscription online.   For assistance, write to redbook AT us.ibm DOT com.
Employees of IBM, Lotus, and Tivoli will prefer using the IBM Intranet at
http://w3.itso.ibm.com.