ADSM-L

AW: Platform interoperability of API clients

2000-11-29 09:48:55
Subject: AW: Platform interoperability of API clients
From: Christian Burkamp <C.Burkamp AT CE-AG DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:49:45 +0100
Richard,

I see that restoring files from one system to the filesystem of another is
not possible without loss of security information and so on.
But with API clients there are no files involved. The API operates on blocks
of data that need not be related to any file on a filesystem. In fact the
API is the same on any platform. I use the same client source code on Win NT
and HP/UX. It just seems to be impossible to use NT filespaces (which are
just a way to logically partition the data on the TSM server) on HP/UX. I
still can't see a reason for that (though I truly believe that IBM does not
need any reason for their design decisions).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
With kind regards

Christian Burkamp
Systems Development             Fon: +49 (0)521 9318-01
CE Computer Equipment AG                Fax: +49 (0)521 9318-444
Herforder Straße 155a
33609 Bielefeld                 E-Mail: C.Burkamp AT ce-ag DOT com
Germany                         http://www.ce-ag.com