ADSM-L

Re: Platform interoperability of API clients

2000-11-29 09:31:25
Subject: Re: Platform interoperability of API clients
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:30:41 -0500
>I'm programming a client using the TSM API. The client needs to store data
>from a Win NT system. Another version of the client has to run on Unix (e.g.
>HP/UX) and retrieve the data. This does not work because the NT filespaces
>are not visible on HP/UX. I opened a problem record at IBM but they told me
>that platform independend access is not possible. Does anybody know a
>solution for this problem? I don't see a good reason why it should be a
>matter which platform retrieves the data.

Christian - Cross-platform operations are typically prohibited, principally
            because clients have to be tailored to their respective platforms
and file systems.  Trying to restore NTFS data to a Unix file system is not a
viable concept.  Even within Unix, for that matter, it is not possible to even
query files of another Unix system where the file system types differ, in that
the querying client isn't programmed to understand them.

It has also historically been the case that API operations are incompatible
with standard client operations.  I do note the more recent API manuals
suggesting that there is movement to make the API more compatible, but it's
not there yet.  In any case, don't expect to be able to operate across
platform types.

  Richard Sims, BU