ADSM-L

Re: How to archive daily/monthly/weekly

2000-11-28 10:48:26
Subject: Re: How to archive daily/monthly/weekly
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:39:37 -0500
Hi I would think you'd want:

-1 default backup with verexits set to 10 ( if you want to ensure a file
changed everyday could be restored to a specific version for a day for 10
changed everyday could be restored to a specific version for a day for 10 days)
1 default archive group set to 1 year retention run each month
1 additional archive group set to 7 year retention run each year

Yes, you can use multiple management classes to backup /archive the same data
but you will need to explicitly reference the 7 year archive group whern you do
those archives because it is not the default archive group.

>>> Peter_Koblauch AT MANULIFE DOT COM 11/28/00 10:13AM >>>
Hello ADSM admins,

A customer has a request for a bacup/archive and I'm not really sure how to
implement this
so that both these requirements are met and the ADSM server has the least
data to keep.

The customer has a directory on a server (NT) where he wants something
like:
  1) daily backups retained for 10 days
  2) monthly backups retained for 1 year
  3) yearly backups retained for 7 years

I'm not sure if I'm using the right ADSM terminology here, e.g. backups vs
archive,
but the customer wants to be able to restore any file in the aforementioned
directory if necessary.
Really what is wanted is the ability to restore to any of the previous 10
days and any of the last day
of the the month for the previous year, and any of the last day of the year
for the last 7 years,

I know how to set up a management class and the associated copy groups and
also the schedules,
but I'm not really sure how to tie these together. Can you use several
management classes for the
same directory? How do you implement that.? Also to keep the amount of data
in ADSM as low
 as possible I suppose you would likely want some sort of incremental
backup but related to the schedule,
 e.g., an incremental "series" for the daily backups, another incremental
series for the monthly etc.

Could be that  I'm on the wrong track here but  I don't really know how to
get off.

Any help would be appreciated!

--
thanks,
thanks,

BTW: I'm running ADSM 3.1 on an RS/6000.