ADSM-L

Re: when can make offsite copy?

2000-11-21 14:59:24
Subject: Re: when can make offsite copy?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:49:06 -0500
>        I am reading through the doc on using a copypool for offsite DR tape
>handling.  I keep reading on how it is desirable to wait to all backups to
>disk are complete, then make a copy to copypool, db backups, etc.  My
>problem/question is pressed by two issues.  If I would wait for the 150-200
>GB to all get to the disk, I will not have enough time to make the tape copy
>befor the tape pickup people will be onsite.  On the weekends I will not
>have enough disk to hold all the backups (600 GB) of backups.    So can I
>start making backup copies to the COPYPOOL while I am still filling the
>disk?

Matt - There isn't a conceptual problem with "starting early" in that
       the Backup Stgpool operation is incremental, and so doing it again
later will get what hasn't already been copied to the Copypool.
A consideration in general would be that related data might be spread
more widely in the Copypool and thus cause any recovery of specific
filespaces using that data to take a bit longer.  But that's not much
of a real issue in that recovery would use multiple days' worth of
Copypool imagery anyway, which is quite spread out as it is.
In that you're talking about backing up a disk storage pool, you should
be able to do that in parallel with incoming data, without much contention.
The overriding issue is that your DB backup be done at such a time as
to make your system fully recoverable.
    Richard Sims, BU