ADSM-L

Re: Windows NT Restore Performance

2015-10-04 17:26:32
Subject: Re: Windows NT Restore Performance
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Josh,
You might consider using a Perl script to generate a load-balanced list of
directories then run INCR for multiple items in that list (say 10 at a
time).  This may work, for you as it will use the "selective incremental"
feature (which doesn't update the last-incr-date for the file system), then
once a week (or more) run a normal full-incremental to update the server's
setting for last-incr-date.  (Did you see only one thread on restore, also?
The design doc. says the new multi-thread only works for backup/archive
direction.  Also, this multi-thread/session feature *may* depend on multiple
file systems or file-spec's to get it to run multiple data-flow threads...
also, there are implications for number of available mount points; the
default number of session-threads of two uses one thread for "query info"
and one or more for backup data.)

I saw the problem with compression back in the SJ lab; unfortunately, the
NTFS attributes go with each file, and for TSM client to "copy" a file to
backup/archive storage, the NTFS API decompresses the file on backup, then
recompresses it on restore.  This, combined with progressively degrading
NTFS performance (over huge numbers of files/directories) made the client
CPU the main bottleneck.  You may need 4 CPU's to get decent performance out
of more than one session for restore!  (BTW, is your server still NTFS4?  I
wonder if NTFS5 helps this issue, any.  We are about to start testing on
Win2k restores, so I will post what we learn.)

Don France

Technical Architect - Unix Engineering/P.A.C.E.
San Jose, CA
mailto:dfrance AT pacbell DOT net
PACE - http://www.pacepros.com