ADSM-L

Re: log file not emptying

2000-11-15 00:58:52
Subject: Re: log file not emptying
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:58:21 -0600
Steve Bennett wrote:
> "Davidson, Becky" wrote:
>>aix 4.3.3
>>adsm server 3.1.2.40
>>
>>I have now had this happen twice.  I have set up rollforward mode and the
>>database backup is supposed to kick off at about 50% and it does with a
>>success message but then the next line is ANR4556W saying the database
>>backup operation did not free sufficient recovery log space to lower
>>utilization.  If I am watching the server or I catch the message I can
>>either shut down the server or increase the log file space but if I am not
>>the server crashes.  When I bring it back up it doesn't need extended log
>>space or anything and all is fine.  This is becoming serious problem.  Any
>>thoughts on why this happening and ideas on how to avoid it.
>
>I had this same problem. It was caused by a server to server session
>that was hung and had been for 85 hours. I did a 'q ses' and then a 'can
>sess' and the next db backup emptied the recovery log. It has happened
>twice since I started using server to server about 6 months ago. If
>there is no permanent fix the recovery could be automated with a script.

To expand upon this theme, any time there is a process that is going on
while a database backup is running, there is the possibility that that
process may "hang" when the backup is trying to clean up the recovery
log. This "hang" does not prevent the proper conclusion to the backup,
but it *may* not allow the log to reset its size to 0 after the clean
up. I've had it happen a time or two; it tends to happen with processes
like migration, expiration, move data, or anything that's
database-access intensive.

--
Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT berbee DOT com)
Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT berbee DOT com)