ADSM-L

Re: What Level OS/390 MVS Server?

2000-11-14 08:08:27
Subject: Re: What Level OS/390 MVS Server?
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:07:58 -0500
Ginny,
        Open Edition is now Unix System Services.  I went to the
impl;imentation class and listened to some people complain that there was
not a GUI for OS390 Unix System Services CLIENT.  But with the TSM 4.1
version there is a USS CLIENT, but it requires OS390 2.8 to get support.  I
was told it would work with OS390 2.7 but if I needed a fix specific to 2.7
they would not make it.  Either way we start putting in OS390 2.10 in a
month so it shouldn't matter to me.   THe USERTEXT exit is the same
information that the USEREXIT gets but in a readable text format.  We were
toying with using a userexit to determin when a backup completes whether or
not it was successful, then passing the message up to our external (to TSM)
job scheduler.  It looks a little to involved and it seems like NO ONE IS
DOING THIS.  I got zero help from IBM/Tivoli (they point out the DSECT in
the book at said that is all the help I would get).  And when I asked the
group I got Zero responses on it.  If you know anyone doing it let me know.
I pushed it back on the UNIX server owners to write scripts on there
platform to talk to the external scheduler to report status.
    (The virtual tape project sounds like more fun)
Matt